Delta is who we are….. Service is what we do!
Social Action was the first public and significant act of our Sorority. Feeling compelled to join a national movement and march in the historic Women’s Suffrage March of 1913, our sorority has remained actively involved in political activism and tirelessly working to inform communities about this legislative process. The mission of social action in Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. is to promote leadership, advocacy, education, engagement, and empowerment to effect social change and public policy in our communities, counties, state, and nation.
The Social Action and Political Awareness & Involvement Committee is directed, guided, and inspired by Delta Sigma Theta’s National Social Action initiatives which work to assure that local, state, and national issues are brought before the Chapter, so that, appropriate action can be taken systemically. We have creatively carried out the objectives, the agenda and the mandates prescribed by our national organization. We are the vehicle which helps the Sorority to bring about CHANGE! Every Delta is encouraged to become a voice, a presence and an advocate for the communities we serve.
Our National Social Action Priorities
- D.C. Statehood.
- Educational Disparities and Inequalities.
- Health Equity
- Reimagining Public Safety
- Voter Suppression
- Supporting Gender Equality
- Combating Racial Profiling
Under the auspices of the National Social Action Commission, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. continues to institute activities that foster:
- Active engagement in the legislative, executive, judicial and regulatory affairs of the nation
- Promote enlightened citizenship by providing fact-based information to elected officials and voters
- Research and advocacy of critical issues
- Monitor legislation at national, state, and local levels
- Voter registration, education, and mobilization
- Educate the public on public policy issues
- Encourage Deltas to run for elected office
Social Action Resources:
2022 Voter Information Guide
Am I Registered to Vote?
Voter Registration Application
Absentee Voter Application
Step-by-Step Guide to Absentee Voting
Election Poll Locator
Election Poll Worker Interest